Saturday, January 31, 2009

Vegan On The Weekend: Trip To The Shore

I am going to the Jersey Shore this weekend for a girls' night at the shore -- we're going to watch movies and have massages and, of course, eat -- my contribution is vegan chocolate chip cookies (recipe via The Joy of Vegan Baking), vegan mocha chocolate muffins with coffee-infused frosting (recipes via Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World), vegan blueberry muffins (recipe via The Joy of Vegan Baking), and vegan apricot bean dip (recipe via Bush's vegetarian baked beans -- mine turned out a bit more soupy than the online picture, although it still solidly stays on tortilla chips).

Although it's still very cold, preparing for going to a beach house made me think of actually going to the beach. And then I remembered a magazine I received from Nordstrom at the beginning of January which highlighted tons of beach and summer wear -- some vegan. Here are a few items I especially covet; as an aside, I don't actually like to go in the water at the beach, or, really, uncover more than minimal amounts of skin, which may explain some of my choices:

Laundry by Shelli Segal Anorak: I love the bubble bottom and the drawstring waist and the buckle tabs at the convertible sleeves (so I can say: see, I am wearing short(ish) sleeves!). The coat comes in the pictured khaki (left) and black. Made from cotton and nylon; $138.

On the topic of spring/summer-weight coats, I also like the Calvin Klein "Asymmetric Trench," which comes in aqua (bright blue) and yellow--two colors that are a bit much for me, even in the summer, but lovely nonetheless. It's made from cotton and spandex, and is $148.

To wear to the beach to maintain maximum cover-up, while still appearing "beachy," I recommend James Perse's "Racer-Back Maxi Dress" (pictured right in the "deep"). Some may say this isn't beach appropriate -- but I love the length and the dark color and think it will look great over a bikini. The dress also comes in black, porcupine (grey), and vintage (white). Made from cotton; $155.

Finally, while on the beach, keeping time is of the essence (for those sunscreen applications, of course!). While flipping through the "magazine," Zodiak's "SeaDragon" watches caught my eye. Stainless steel case with a rubber strap. Comes in three colors combinations (see left). My favorite is the turquoise with the pink face. The watch is $150.

No comments: